The Elders for Regenerative Living (ERL) Action Group addresses the broad question:
How do we Elders live and act more regeneratively so that our grandchildren and future generations have an habitable planet and a society that support their growth as human beings?
To be regenerative means:
- putting life at the center of all decisions and actions;
- reconnecting to self, others, and nature/mother Earth; and
- opening to unexplored possibilities.
In his book, Regeneration, Paul Hawken invites us to reflect as we take each next step by asking ourselves these four questions as our guiding principles:
- Does the action create more life or reduce it?
- Does it heal the future or steal the future?
- Does it De-generate or Re-generate life?
- Does it enhance human well-being or diminish it?
He adds, “If we are to transform the climate crisis, we need to transform ourselves, and we had best not blink.”
ERL currently offers three opportunities to support that transformation:
Chat ‘n Act – This action-based project follows an on-going, highly interactive format where presenters and participants look at a variety of topics starting with cause, moving to solutions, and culminating in actions and advocacy each person can use in their own lives and in their communities. Click here for the recordings of the initial six sessions plus a guest speaker on the topic of reducing our uses of single-use plastics. Topics being considered for our next series include an elder’s strategies for eliminating use of fossil fuels or minimizing and composting of food waste. Your suggestions are welcomed…send them to Shirley Freriks firstname.lastname@example.org.
Game Changer Initiative – Developed by and offered in partnership with the Pachamama Alliance. This is a module just for EAN elders. Watch for the announcement of the next offering tentatively scheduled for early Fall 2022 in the monthly EAN Events Bulletin. For more information contact Pam Nichols at email@example.com.
Regenerative Elder Project – ERL is currently designing and prototyping this program that focuses on the unique gifts that elders can bring to the internal and external regenerative transformation that Paul Hawken is calling forth in his book Regeneration.
- It will take the form of a short introductory module, followed by several month-long inquiries into some of the action domains that Paul explores in his book and on the Nexus site, such as food, forests, or energy.
- In these longer modules, we will focus on capacity building and experimentation for elder-specific activities such as modeling, mentoring, holding the space, or advising in council, and developing action confidence.
- We will offer in the second part of 2022 several inquiry-based educational modules that will explore the key dimensions and domains of regenerative living and serving, while forming a regenerative learning community. These modules will integrate inner work, interpersonal work, and outer work to address the root causes of our societal crises and offer creative alternatives to current reality. For more information on the REP contact Alain Gauthier at firstname.lastname@example.org.
During 2021, ERL sponsored distinguished speakers and presentations concerning climate change, rewilding, food & nutrition, electrifying our lives, etc. Click here to access recordings of these presentations.